Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sky Gazing

skylights are a bit of an architectural luxury.

i can't even say there are many homes i have been in that have had one.
i have most definitely never lived in a home on my own that had a skylight...until now.

i do not believe i have ever truly described the joy that is my bedroom here in nyc.

when i was arranging to move to ny i was unable to visit the city to check out any apartments ahead of time. that work was left to my two roommates. when they found the apt we have now and were telling me it had 3 bedrooms, i was thrilled. i need my space.

later, amanda mentioned that one of the rooms was smaller. i asked if there was a window. she said yes. so i volunteered to have the smaller room since they had done all the leg work to find the space. how small could it be?

well. it is small. the long way is about my body length plus maybe another 1/4th of me. the width way is a little smaller than the length of a traditional yoga mat's.

yup, it is small. to make it even smaller, it has extremely high ceilings and high windows.
at times it can appear very prison like.

so the other night while i was laying on my floor level mattress, gazing up at my high window i realized i was looking out at a beautiful, clear, night sky.
i could see bright stars, a puff of clouds, and blinking lights of planes going in to land at LaGuardia Airport. then just tonight i was again laying in bed and a bright light shown in my room. when i looked up at the window i saw it was the light from an almost perfectly round moon shining down. gorgeous.

so while i may have an insanely small room, i do have something that most others don't... my new york version of an apartment skylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment