Thursday, October 8, 2009

Requested Topic

i have had a requested topic for a blog: poodle.

it has been asked that i share how exactly i came up with such an endearing, masculine, and loving nick name for my partner, Jesse. well i really cannot take all the credit. in fact, the nick name "poodle" can probably originate back to my parents.

my parents have had pets my whole life. when i was born they had a little schnauzer named Asta. when Asta died my parents decided to get another dog...a poodle... named Jessie. so when i started dating a Jesse it only seemed natural to find a way to be able to tell my childhood dog and my current partner apart.

i called Jessie, Jessie and I called Jesse, poodle.

at first it was only something that we shared privately, between the two of us. at times he would complain that it was an embarrassing nickname, but for the most part he tolerated it and with time he even began to respond to the name...

"hey poodle, what time did you say you'd get off work?"
"i should be done around 5."

there have been some hurdles and stabs at his "manhood" from the name. when his brother learned of the renaming he decided to brand Jesse's snowmobile with the large letters of POODLE so that Jesse's headlight would illuminate the name in the snow, but by year 3 Jesse wasn't even blinking an eye at his new identity.

so that is the story. that is how i started dating a poodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment