Sunday, September 13, 2009

skype?...what's all the hype?

i have to apologize for not being able to write as often as i would like.
my computer suffered from a little "new city anxiety" and decided to stop turning on 2 weeks ago.
my roommate has been kind enough to let me use her computer while my computer is going through intensive therapy at Best Buy's Geek Squad.
i am hoping to get it back within the next week.

a new computer activity i tired this week though was skype.
if you have never skyped before it is using your computer to call another computer. then you are able to talk to the other person through your computer. if you have webcams you can even see each other on the screen.

my roommate amanda had been skyping with her sister and suggested i try it with poodle. i proposed the idea to poodle and he bought a webcam. we were both super excited at the idea of seeing eachother and talking. just like if we were at home in Crystal.

so friday was the big night we decided to skype for the first time. while amanda was setting up an account i started getting really nervous to see poodle; my palms began to sweat and my stomach was flipping all over.
right when we are about to make our connection i looked down and realized....
I WAS WEARING THE SAME TSHIRT THAT I HAD LEFT MPLS WEARING 3 WEEKS AGO!!!
poodle couldn't see me wearing the same shirt! this was going to be our first connection on skype and i had to make a good impression! so i ran into my room and had to find something else to wear! i decided on a red tank top.

it was time. amanda called poodle's computer and then he was on the computer screen. i couldn't help, but squeal a bit. we said awkward hellos, both smiling from ear to ear. i brought poodle on a tour of my apartment and then i took the computer into my room so we could chat privately. after we had settled in (and poodle went through 20 different camera angels to find the one he liked best) we sat and stared. there was nothing much else to say past our normal nightly conversations.

skyping was cool don't get me wrong, but i found that it didn't give me what i was looking for.
with the evolution of technology, personal touches disappear from communication. poodle and i can talk through out the day whenever we like--text messages, emails, cell phone calls--which is comforting to know, but also lacking the classic tones of romance.

my late grandpa was a very gifted artist. while he was courting my grandma he would send her postcards with beautiful pictures on them illustrating his love. my dad has a series of those postcards framed in his office and when i think of those i can't help but say...skype, what's all the hype?

No comments:

Post a Comment